Trimbakeshwar Temple

Trimbakeshwar Temple

The Triambakeshwar temple, dedicated to Shiva is one among the twelve Jyotirlings in India. The temple was built by third Peshva Balaji Bajirao alias Bhau Saheb (1740-1761) and it was renovated by Ahilyabai Holkar of Indor in 1779. It stands in the midst of a stone paved courtyard enclosed by a rampart wall (80.77 X 66.45 m) having four entrances. This is bhumija class of temple where shrine rises from ground without plinth, consists of a garbhagriha, a massive square hall provided with three porches. A separate elegantly carved stone pavilion- Nandi mandapa with and a dipmala (tower of lamps) are placed before the main temple. The curvilinear tower over the sanctum is formed with rising miniature shikharas and purnakumbhas placed on the corner culminating into an amalaka capped with gilded finial and flag adorned with Nandi. The exterior of the temple is richly decorated with carved human figures, animals, flowers and scroll work mouldings. Though the entire temple is constructed in basalt, marble architectural members and sculptures are used at selected locations amplifying contrast within decorations. Originally garbhagriha may be enshrined with Shivalinga which is not in extant, only hollow pit with yonipitha is present. The Trimbakeshwar Temple represents a class and elegance of the Maratha architecture patronised under Peshwas

Gallery

Let's work together!

Copyrights © 2023 Archaeological Survey Of India, Aurangabad Circle